Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Camping with Omnipod and Dexcom

Here's the update to the camping post that I did on 4th of July. I could not post too much that day, since I was using my Iphone. This was our first camping trip with Omnipod and the Dexcom. This was also the first camping trip where we were not allowed to have camp fires. Can you believe that? What is camping without camp fires at night with toasty marshmallows sandwiched between two honey graham crackers and pieces of melted Hershey chocolates? The kiddos were disappointed but hey, I don't want to start forest fire either so we made do with propane grills and cooked everything else on the stove.

While we were there, we went to the Eleven Mile Canyon. What a wonderful place to go for the 4th of July weekend. The stream was cold with melted snow and so clear you could see the bottom. At first, we went in the dipped our toes but the kiddos end up jumping in. It was pretty refreshing! the temperature was between 88F to 95F and the water just cooled us off. I waded in with Baby E while Mr. R and Mr. N started goofing and swimming in the stream. Photos to follow soon - maybe in the next post!

Mr. R had his pod on his tummy and Dexcom on his back. We were happy with that arrangement when the Dexcom receiver started to scream. Oh yeah,  the loyal "Out Of Range" message popped out!. I was happy Mr. R remembered to take it off before he jumped in because the receiver is not water proof. Or is it? I just can't remember. I have to make a mental note to check on that. So now the Dexcom is useless. An hour later, Mr. R started to complaint that the pod is hurting his tummy. Uggh!! We just put it on the night before. Checked it - looked wet but it was still fine. I told Mr. R to go ahead and play in the water and if the pod fall, I had brought the fast acting insulin as a back up so I could give him insulin for the food that he was going to eat and we should head back to the camper in time to put a new pod on.

Another hour passed and Mr. R came back and said that it is really hurting. Lo and behold, the pod is still sticking but I could see the cannula poking out of his skin! It was hurting because the cannula was poking his skin. Another 80+ unit of insulin wasted. The tummy area is really not working on him. I may have to stick it somewhere else. Maybe on his legs. Oh well! Lesson learned.

We had our picnic there from 11am to approximately 7pm. Just in time before the fireworks started. 20 minutes before we left, while I was busy packing our stuff back into the van, Mr. N and Mr. R was jumping up and down. I ignored them as usual... boys will do what boys do! But at the corner of my eyes, I saw Mr. R wheeling in 12 inches rainbow trout out. I was so excited, I ran back to the picnic site, scrapping my feet on the boulder, (ouchy!) thinking in my head that I should check it out later.

Took picture of the boys and the trout (Mr. M and grandpa and all) and started to pack all the stuff again. Put the picnic basket, mat, camping chairs, and etc in the van. Put Baby E in the car seat, buckled him up and told the 2 older kids to get in, waited for their grandpa and grandma, and suddenly noticed that my feet is really bleeding. Ouch!!! I took the fist aid kit out, cleaned it as best as I could and put some Neosporin on it. The cut wasn't that bad but the bleeding was awful!

Oh well, fast forward to the end of the evening, the kiddos along with their grandparents went to the fireworks show. I stayed behind with Baby E in the camper. He saw a lot of fireworks show (between Disney World in March and Disneyland in June not forgetting a mini firework show at the San Diego Sea World).

It was a nice camping trip with Mr. M and his family (all went except for a niece and his sister who went to FL). It was a nice 4 days break for me. Alas, I am still tired but at least the kids had fun and that's all that matter to me. After all, it is all about the kids. They grow up so fast, I was afraid that one day, I will wake up only to find that they are all grown up and live far from me! I wish I can keep them with me all the time so I could hug and kiss them and protect them from everything. I just hope they will remember all the things that I did for them and never forget their mom.

Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment