Thursday, July 7, 2011

Omnipod and Dexcom

Mr. R has been on the pod and the Dexcom for the last one month and a half. So far everything is going great. I love the fact that Dexcom will alarm when he is going below or beyond his target range. I could sleep better at night knowing that Dexcom is watching over my son. Even so, I still wake up at midnight and again at 3:30am to check his blood sugar just to make sure he is doing ok. That also give me the chance to check on Mr. N and Baby E. Last night at pre-bedtime Mr. R was at 85 with an arrow going down. I gave him a glucose tablet and told him to brush his teeth. At midnight he was at 98. I felt safe and went to bed and set up the alarm at 3:30am.

3:30am - my alarm went off and I keep pushing the snooze button. I finally woke up at 4am and went to check on Mr. R. He was at 258. Yikes !!!! The PDM suggested 1.58 unit but I was afraid Mr. R might crashed later so I reduced the bolus to 0.75 unit.

At 7am before I left to work, I check his blood sugar again and he was at 208. It went down but not enough. The PDM suggested 1.10 unit. I accepted the calculation done by the PDM and bolus him. I whispered to Mr. R to check his sugar when he wake up later and call me if its still high.

I guess I should have trusted the calculation done by the PDM and should have just bolus him with the amount of insulin suggested by the PDM at 4am. Another lesson learned! I used to be my son sole replacement pancreas but now I have Omnipod to help me with it. It is no longer a game that I played everyday, trying to make sure Mr. R's blood sugar stay in range. It is all about doing the right math between the carb intake and insulin given.

Mr. R's A1c has been between 6.4 - 6.7 range until the last 6 months, his A1c went up to 7.2 - 7.3 range. That was one of the many reasons that prompted us to put Mr. R on the pump.

He has his endocrinologist appointment in 3 weeks so I'm praying and hoping that we got his A1c down to the level that he used to be before. I know it will be hard. He has been in honeymoon phase for over 2 years. We were told that he is still in his honeymoon phase but I am not so sure anymore. His blood sugar has been all over the place now.

Please pray that they will find a cure for this illness soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment