Monday, July 18, 2011

Dexcom went swimming...

What a day! It was a crazy hectic day. Went to work at 8am today and left at 3pm so I could take the kids to their first swimming lesson this summer. They were super excited. Both of them called me to ask about where I put their goggles, noodles, sun block and etc...

On the way home, I remembered that both of their goggles had been thrown away due to old age. I stopped by Super Target, picked up 2 pairs of goggles, 2 new noodles and last but not least a new car seat for Baby E. On the way out to the cashier, I noticed that that car seat will not recline and the goggle was not the right size. I was running out of time so with 3 inch high heels, I sprinted back towards the back of the store to return the car seat (could not find anything else that I like for Baby E, so no car seat today!) and exchanged both goggles.

I made it in time (5 minutes) before lesson started, rushed the kiddos into the car, grabbed a bottle of cold water from the freezer and a small bottle of honey just in case if Mr. R blood sugar decided to plunge later.

Once we got there, the instructor told me that she had to hike the fee (another $10 more) since she has to drive so far to get to our pool. I was already frustrated at this point. I told Mr. N to start and Mr. R to warm up. Without further ado, Mr. R grabbed one of the noodle, put on his new goggle and dive in!!!

I suddenly remembered that I have not lower down his basal rate. Considering the temperature was hovering around 99F, I walked to the side of the pool, motioned him to come closer to lower his basal rate. He looked like he was going to cry. I was puzzled, why would he cry when he was just splashing around. He told me that he still have his Dexcom in his pocket. My heart sank. I knew Dexcom will not replace the receiver. They told me to get a replacement receiver which will cost us $199. I just paid over $800 for the whole setup (Dexcom, Omnipod and the extra insulins not forgetting all the barrier wipes, adhesive remover, all kind of tape to secure the hardwares to his small body!) The calculator in my brain was busy churning numbers trying to figure out how I could cough up another $199 to pay for the replacement.

In the mean time I called Mr. M. I told him not to get upset!. Suprisingly he was pretty calm about it. I called my mom next, wailing. She just simply told me that it is my fault since I should have got Mr. R ready in the first place and not rely on a 6 years old to do things on his own. Ugggghhh!

Brought it home, put the Dexcom in the bowl of rice. Here's hoping and praying that it will dry out and it will still work!

In the mean time, we just have to fly blind. If I have to get the replacement part, I guess I will find a way to pay for it. It is for Mr. R anyway. There's nothing I will not do for my kids.

After swimming and a 2 hours break, the kiddos went to Tae Kwan Do. I felt so blind. I have relied on Dexcom so much that I felt so scared! Scared because I can't predict the pattern of Mr. R's blood sugar. I checked his sugar twice during the TKD session but he was doing fine.

I felt like such a failure. I can't even keep the Dexcom safe. I wish I can be the best mom to my 3 boys but there are only so much a mom can do when she has to juggle work and home. Not an excuse but it is what it is. I never felt so alone...I want the Dexcom to wake up again and help me out...

Oh by the way, I called Dexcom Rep and I do not heart this guy at all...Dexcom customer service is nowhere close to Omnipod. He is no help at all... but than again why would he care? He doesn't have a child with Diabetes...

No comments:

Post a Comment